Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2015

Three Ice Cream Poems

by the Editorial Staff of Uncanny Valley Magazine

Paragraph City
by Douglas Slayton

When all of this is over,
I will be alone again on this curb,
colder than ever,
but I needed it more than anything.





Ice Cream Sandwich
by Chris Alarie

I saw a jogger
run toward me and just
for something to do

I stepped into him
deliberately
in a heap we fell

Clambered to the ground
arms, legs entangled
mess of confusion

"If I can't eat an
ice cream sandwich, what
the fuck is the point?!"

I shouted at him
bewildered he tried
to get up and run

But I held fast to
his ankle and he
had nowhere to go



Ice Cream
by Alexis Faulkner

Once upon a time  
A favorite friend of mine was very cold  
And very fickle about staying in a single shape 
As the heat was taking over my own format 
I'd find her always pleasant and always comforting 
And always willing to lend her charm 
To my sadness and my dramatic longing 
So sweet and so consistent 
So caring and so available 
And yet her older, colder sister has now taken over 
As my continuous daydream resident  
And my go to peacemaker  
I'm sorry, ice cream 
Were your spirit less fleeting  
Were your cascade more peaceful and confident 
Had you plagued my guilty palette with less force 
I could have kept you as my ice queen  
Snow is what I reach for  
Even in the sunshine of the summer season  
Even in my loneliest moment  
I am sure I could fade away in an instant 
If flakes formed a frozen lake  
For resting and ice fishing and snow angels 


Alexis Faulkner is Executive Editor-in-Chief of Uncanny Valley Magazine. 
Chris Alarie is Senior Editor-in-Chief of Uncanny Valley Magazine.
Doug Slayton is Professor Editor-in-Chief of Uncanny Valley Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment