Search This Blog

Friday, September 4, 2015

Three Oakland Poems

by the Editorial Staff of Uncanny Valley Magazine


There Was Something I Just Thought Of (Sixth)
by Douglas Slayton

When it was late I'd stand under the lights
on the platform, waiting for the rattle
of the tracks, as the dark blue black of night
sinks my cover of yellow light crackle.

I miss the moon hanging over my bed,
when I had no where to be the next day.
I miss nights that were quiet in my head
and the bed wasn't mine but I could stay.

I wasn't scared of the streets I walked
knowing they'd be around in the morning.
I hate every night like the one we talked.
You're in my clothes, more with every washing.

I remember every night, they haunt me,
and how the last train was always empty.



Walk Home
by Chris Alarie

A shot sounds at a sideshow
And does not disrupt a thing
Danger is likely, life is lively
Catch a fade, go dumb, super hyphy

A crowd gathers at a warehouse
Tangle of noise & limbs & beer
Money for the touring bands, please
How strange that somebody lives here

Bobby & Huey
Huey & Officer Frey
Little Bobby Hutton
Huey & Tyrone Robinson

New Year's Eve, I walk home
From MacArthur BART, drunk
In the rain, the long way
Past Casper's Hot Dogs twice
Sick to my stomach of
Myself and everything
I buy some Gatorade
Watch The Simpsons 'til dawn
I live here, I am home

Is the bullet hole in the
Window of 'Lectric Washouse
Still there? I wonder, years later



Home
by Alexis Faulkner

Can take your heart at any time
Fashion it into a pretzel shield
And then squeeze all of the blood all over the shoes
Of your tribe

Oakland is a mess of palm trees
And basketball courts and friendly faces
Sometimes turned worried into that frantic well of loneliness and misdirection
It is the punks that press you back into shape
It is the hippies that make you know love
It is the lake that shows you dead catfish
Even the dying are happy to pass
At home

Ivy Drive
The stories I am missing show me that this was a young place
But parents shot at everything
Wrote it all down
My first memory, big shake and smashing the whole kitchen
My mom wrote it in October 1989

Garfield Avenue
The one lemons were three lemons and everyone stopped by to hustle up the tree while my family wasn’t looking
I put my black cat in the swing and Uboo never gave me hell
And Giamocha lent his tail to every occasion
Plum wine, we said, as fruit rained down over the roof
Too many rotten on the concrete
Rottweilers, neighbors and our own kept us all over that hood
Busted hydrants for summer
Winter
Winter was homeless there
Winter has no place in Oakland
My baby sister
My baby bunk beds
My Easter Bunny
My salad of nasturtiums
My friends in Diamond Heights
The school of Redwood Heights
The hills of Grandma lavender and her chemistry
Ever July planning on planting more bushes

A new millennium on Vernon Street
Junk
We had a lot of junk but I kept our books in the best order of the English alphabet And just stuffed the rest in the closet
There was a black cat there too who was sweet with luck
But less than the magic one
BART and the 57 kept late nights up later and long walks up that sunnyslope never felt less than Everest

I haven’t the best habits about keeping memories
Locked in order
I haven’t the best record of where

Shattuck Avenue
The concrete that touched my house touched a cherry plum tree and it broke apart
And threw me off my bike
Gave me the feeling that Oakland would never change
The city would flood and drain with fresh thousands and the streets
Would always be unpaved
This place was right near Ashby
The house had not only been for me
Psychedelic leave-behinds, sharpie skinhead cartoons, tchotchkes generations old
Every crusty creeper in Berkeley left vibes on Shattuck

Shattuck Avenue was a double exposure of holding hands
And spinning as hard as the wind ever blows
Overtop small shadows of dark leaves and flowers
Precious and brilliant and wanting a harder party and never looking back
In the end, we got robbed and I moved back to San Francisco

The best July was the roof on Alcatraz Avenue
First holiday stop: Berkeley Roses
But the view was no good and I’m glad we went back to base
The television volume broke my patience a thousand times over
But this time drowned completely by a campaign of flames
I loved every minute of that dangerous display

I wish memories were something final
I wish memories were easy to keep filed in your brain
And they were an exact representation of a time and place
But mostly they are shifting
Mostly they suit my best fantasy about my own life
All I want to remember
All I can remember
I remember being friends and being in Love with Oakland

Alexis Faulkner is Executive Editor-in-Chief of Uncanny Valley Magazine. 
Chris Alarie is Senior Editor-in-Chief of Uncanny Valley Magazine.
Doug Slayton is Professor Editor-in-Chief of Uncanny Valley Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment