Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2015

Three Blood Poems


by the Editorial Staff of Uncanny Valley Magazine
Super Blood Moon photo by Benjamin Stark

Blood
by Alexis Faulkner

Humans are mostly liquid
Had I longer planted myself
In a familiar landscape
My blood might have hardened
And kept me quiet and still

Tomorrow
In the evening
The moon fills with blood
Only then to hide in the Earth’s shadow

In New York
The sky will be cool and clear
And the moon will be bright
Barely bright enough to be another light in the landscape
That can hold our attention just long enough
To read its meaning
And carry on with the counting of our kingdom’s gloried pieces

Days passed that tomorrow
A new sense of blood pain
Feeling woven into the feminine landscape
Feeling forgotten and feeling tiny but not without a home
Warmed by the shared responsibility to keep our blood contained
Lifted by the shared passion to show off our wounds
Remembering the blood moon and the newness shown afterwards

Showered in the light of that big moon
I saw a distant path
And suddenly it appeared underneath me
To bridge the unknown with bold spirit
Would be to map my own blood onto dreams
And to chase life with new, bright bliss

Blood

by Chris Alarie

Our life's blood that sustains us

Will someday portend our doom
In Revelations, John writes,
"And there came a great earthquake
The sun became black as sackcloth
The full moon became like blood"

Individual bodies

We will die, we will bleed out
Lividity will set in
Blood will pool, coagulate
Red and blue, black and purple
Blood tells us that life ends

But blood, like death, connects us

With each other and also
With the creatures great and small
That populate existence
Warm and cold blooded, even
The stupid, stupid horses

12:35pm, August 27th

by Douglas Slayton

there is more of you inside
than there is me.
racing from my chest
to my fingers
but i still can't feel a thing.

i have known more doubt
than anything else.
swallowing smoke
with the sugar metabolizing,
my head is swimming
but i am sinking.

touch my arm the way you did,
again, and feel me run cold.


Alexis Faulkner is Executive Editor-in-Chief of Uncanny Valley Magazine. 
Chris Alarie is Senior Editor-in-Chief of Uncanny Valley Magazine.
Doug Slayton is Professor Editor-in-Chief of Uncanny Valley Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment