Search This Blog

Friday, September 25, 2015

Remembrances of Yogi Berra

by Steve Alarie

I remember when I met Yogi Berra in Walnut Creek in 1964. My dad had just bought me an icea cream cone at the Walnut Bowl. The ice cream fell off the cone when I licked it and it fell on the ground. Yogi was walking by me and said, "Tough shit, kid." And then I started crying because his big ears scared me. My older brother slugged my arm.

Wait, it wasn't 1964. He was in Walnut Creek during the World Series in 1962. Yeah, now I remember. It was Hokey's Burgers. I was choking on a french fry and he laughed at me. My face turned blue and he said, "Knock it off, kid."

I remember when I first met Yogu Berra. It was in Walnut Creek in 1962. My dad had just bought me an ice cream cone. I think it was lime sherbet from the Walnut Tree Restaurant. I was walking out of the restaurant and, with my first lick, accidentally knocked the ice cream off the cone. Of course, I started crying. Berra walked by and said, "Stupid kid, stop crying." And then he slapped me on the side of the head and kept walking. You should have seen the size of his ears!

Actually that was a lie. I never met Yogi Berra.

Steve Alarie found 1647 pennies on the ground last year. He has made almost $1100 dollars this year from collecting cans from the garbage in public parks and taking them to recycling centers.

No comments:

Post a Comment